Sunday, November 6, 2011

Commitment

Today I committed to the one thing I've been putting off since I arrived in Ireland...

The mobile phone contract.

For the past 3 years I've been hammering away credit with my archaic, little Nokia phone that only makes and receives calls and texts.  Email?  Wouldn't dream of it.  Applications?  No way.  Who needs an extra expense and 2 year commitment to a communications conglomerate? Not this gal.

My view began to change about a year and a half ago when I started working for one of the largest tech companies in the world.  I would need a smart phone just to do my job.  But I hesitated and powered through the lack of technology relying on other resources to assist with my daily tasks.

This whole cloud computing thing changed my mind.  In order to support the people I deal with everyday, I would need to understand how the heck this all works.  And I'm much more of a visual/learn by doing person than learn by reading/remembering/etc.  After weighing the costs of credit vs paying a bill every month, the solution seemed simple.  Buy the iPhone and sign a contract.

Well yeah I could have bought the phone outright if I had a spare 600 euro or so sitting around, but I didn't.  Plus at this point in my life, I should be able to handle something like a cell phone bill.  But signing a contract is a huge (ahem 2 year) commitment to a phone and to Ireland.  I feel like such a grown up.

And it's so pretty.  A 16 GB, iPhone 4S in white all to myself.  I've been glued to it all night setting up my email, texting my friends on iMessage, playing Angry Birds, and talking to that bitch Siri.  It really is a lovely little gem and I'm glad I took the plunge and finally signed away my soul to Vodafone.

Hopefully my decision will still be sound when the bill arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment