Thursday, April 15, 2010

Hit the Road Jack

After a year and a half of being without wheels here in Ireland, tomorrow marks my first day back on the road (actually, the first time being on the road in Ireland) in my first right hand drive car.

In fact, tomorrow will also mark the first time in my life I've ever purchased my own car. The other two were purchased by my father (one when I was 16 and one when I graduated college which subsequently now belongs to my sister. That's what happens when you leave the country and a brand new Honda Civic behind). So the daddy's girl act is up and here I am making my first big purchase.

Except, I would be lying if I said I bought the entire thing on me own. My current salary does not allow much wiggle room and my budget was tight. The boyfriend stepped in and helped out with a deposit and insurance. I have sworn to pay him back (most likely in installments or in home cooked meals) and boyfriend, if you're reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH. Honestly, I think he's just as happy about this car as I am. No longer will I complain to him (and everyone I know for that matter) about how awful public transport here in Cork is and how unreliable Bus Eireann is. He can forget about ever having to wake up early to bring me to work or stay up late to collect me. And I finally have freedom of the road.

It currently takes me 2 buses and 1.5 hours to get to work. By car it only takes 15 minutes. I can't wait to not have to leave my house at 9:30 to make it in for work by 11 am. Huzzah!

So 1997 Volkswagen Polo here I come. You may be 13 years old, but I don't care. You're automatic, compact, and all mine.

The tricky part is collecting the car from Dublin. For those of you not familiar with geography in Ireland, Dublin is about a 3 hour or so drive from Cork. It's mostly motorway (aka freeway) but yours truly will be making her maiden voyage in her new Polo from Dublin. We'll most likely be making a one night pit stop in Tipperary which will nicely break up the journey, but I have to admit, I am a little nervous. The furthest I've driven in Ireland is to the shop. Which is located up the small hill from my house. It's about a 40 second drive. That's it. That's all I've done. And here I am expected to use my indicators, go through roundabouts, go above speeds of 90 kilometers an hour, and all while doing it on the opposite side of the road to what I'm used to.

Guess I have to break myself in somehow. Please pray for my safety.

So that's the big news from this side of the pond. Now it's off to snoozy dreamy land. Can't be tired for tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Another automatic driver! Why don't more people here realize the joys of the non-stick? I laugh evilly at them while we crawl through Cork traffic and I have one hand blessedly free to... well, unnecessarily check my phone and... eat. Maybe I should have bought a manual transmission anyway. It probably would have been safer for those around me :-)

    ReplyDelete