Sunday, January 25, 2009

Habla el Irish?

As my assimilation into Irish culture continues (for the long term that is), I find that I'm experiencing "what the hell?" moments less and less. Great for the adjustment process, bad for the blog.

I find myself using Irish terminology way more than its American counterparts. It's much easier to converse with my Irish friends and pseudo family when I use their words. While I feel like I'm sort of losing my American vocab and sort of selling out, it's also kind of fun to stop and notice myself speaking like everyone else here. Don't worry, there is no accent yet. At times, I can hear myself picking it up and when that happens, I try to compensate by sounding REALLY American.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you some of the words that have recently entered my vocabulary. And if I'm not saying them yet, I'm sure I will be soon.

Examples:

1. Bin. A bin is a trash can. Don't forget to bring the bins up every week for the rubbish collection.

2. Rubbish. Normally, I'd say "trash" back home in the states.

3. Cinema. It's Friday night and there's not much going on. Back in America I would call my friends and say "hey do you want to go to the movies?" Here it's, the "cinema."

4. Film. If you saw a trailer on t.v. during an average commercial break, you might find yourself leaning over to your lover and saying, "that movie looks great." Would this happen in Ireland? No. Here you'd find yourself saying "I want to see that film." Please note that "film" is pronounced "fil-im."

5. Holiday. This is equal to the word "vacation." Madonna knew that one. Do you?

6. Tele. This is a word that I often use over here. For example, as I'm writing this I have the tele turned on for background noise. Did you figure it out yet? "Tele" is the same thing as "T.V."

7. Nappy. I don't understand this one and in fact, I still feel a little silly when I say the word "nappy." We call it a "diaper" in America. It's so much more official sounding in America. I wonder where "nappy" came from.

8. Buggy. This is the same as a stroller.

9. Boot. Your spare tire is not in the "trunk" it's in the boot.

10. There is no word equivalent to "freeway" and I find that annoying.

11. It's not a "cell phone" in Ireland. It's a "mobile."

12. Yesterday I called the two stands next to our bed "night stands" Darren corrected me and told me they were "bed side lockers."

13. During the holiday season, all I heard was "Santy! Santy Claus. What is Santy bringing you?" I'm sorry, when did we drop the last "a" off Santa and add a "y"?

14. In addition to the above, I also heard "Did you get me a pressie?" No, but I bought you a "present."

15. The word "pet" is often used as a term of endearment. Hmm...

16. If you'd like a towel for your shower, you can find one in the "press." Not the hall closet or the cabinet, the "press."

17. Immersion. Everyone should you tube Des Bishop and watch his comedy sketch on this topic. It's hilarious! You see, in older homes in Ireland (and some newer ones) you basically have to flip a switch in the "hot water press" to have hot water when you shower. Our house is not like this, but Darren grew up in a house like this. Basically they tell you to "turn on the immersion." Can you imagine being here for the first time and having someone tell you this?

18. "Cot" is the same as "bed."

19. A "jumper" is the same as a "sweater" and a "hoodie" is what the Irish call a hooded sweatshirt.

20. Excuse me but where is the bathroom? I'm not sure what you're talking about because here we say "the toilet." So literal. Way to go Ireland.

So there are 20 new words that you can all add to your vocabulary! I hope you all found this entry educational.

1 comment:

  1. napkin = nappy.

    but i think i'd feel racist if i had to say that one...

    ReplyDelete